Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A Note on a Passing

Brazil has lost another national treasure--and the world a world's treasure--with the death of João Gilberto, who died on July 6 at age 88. He was, in Antônio Carlos Jobim's words, "O Baiano bossa-nova," thus the name of a kind of music that would soon take the world by storm. Even now, sixty years after its beginnings, listening to bossa nova is still a great pleasure. This of course has nothing to do with weird fiction, fantasy, or science fiction, but as I've written, I'm working on a long science-fiction story right now, and in tipping my hat to the people of Brazil--a great people: you can tell by their music--I have given the female lead in my story the Portuguese name PaulinhaMuito obrigado and R.I.P., João Gilberto.

Copyright 2019, 2023 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment