Saturday, April 22, 2023

Anniversary No. 12

I began writing this blog twelve years ago today, on April 22, 2011. My first subject was C.L. Moore, one of my favorite authors of fantasy and weird fiction and someone who grew up where I grew up, in Irvington, on the east side of Indianapolis. I have since written more than 1,200 articles--1,245 as of today--and in that time, there have been 1,550 comments posted here. A lot of those are my responses to comments others have made. I'm always glad to hear from readers and to receive contributions. I do a lot of thinking and a lot of research in order to write this blog, but I can't know everything, read everything, or think of everything, and so I thank everyone who has written, knowing the things I don't know and thinking of the things I haven't thought of. I encourage everyone to write again, write more, or write for the first time.

I have 120 followers on this blog. Thank you, followers. I have also had more than 1.2 million visits on Tellers of Weird Tales (1,202,877 as I write). I went over the 1.2 million mark on April 11, 2023. That's a lot of visits, even if half of them might be hackers, spammers, and robots. I wonder now whether artificial intelligence is making searches of the Internet and whether any visits made by AI to my blog or any other blog are counted in the overall tally. I think we're past the point of no return when it comes to distinguishing between people and machines. Nevertheless, I thank all of you humans who read Tellers of Weird Tales, and I thank everyone who has expressed appreciation, admiration, or encouragement, either in the comments section or by personal email. Finally, I thank Randal A. Everts, who has done so much to uncover the identities, images, and lives of the men and women, artists and writers, who contributed to Weird Tales magazine.

Weird Tales, December 1933, with cover art by Margaret Brundage. This cover is from nigh on ninety years ago. The clock hands turn and time flies. The Rule of Twelve holds: there are twelve divisions on the multicolored circle pictured above. This image was published in the twelfth month of the year, and the cover price was two bits, or two times 12 1/2. I have been writing for twelve years now. In that time, I have written more than 1,200 articles and have had more than 1,200 thousand visits to this blog. I also have twelve-times-ten followers. And if you add up the numbers in the beginning date for Tellers of Weird Tales--4-22-2011--you get twelve. Is there significance? I can't say.

Text copyright 2023 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment