Monday, July 13, 2020

Earl Peirce, Jr.-The Story So Far

I was on the track of Earl Peirce, Jr., and his family before getting off onto other things. It's time to get back on track again.
  • I first wrote about Earl Peirce, Jr., on May 17, 2017. (Click here.) What I wrote originally was in error. I corrected it, leaving only the basic facts of his dates, his places of birth and death, and a list of his contributions to weird fiction magazines. The idea was that I would come back to Peirce in a fuller series.
  • Three years later, on May 11, 2020, I wrote part one of this new series, in which I introduced the series and discussed Peirce's story "Doom of the House of Duryea." (Click here.) My hope is to discuss each of Peirce's stories in turn, if I can find them.
  • On May 14, 2020, I wrote an aside on "Doom of the House of Duryea" in which I described how Peirce appears to have been the first writer after Robert Bloch to mention Ludvig Prinn, fictional author of De Vermis Mysteriis (Mysteries of the Worm). (Click here.) Another aside: Bloch first mentioned De Vermis Mysteriis in "The Secret in the Tomb," published in Weird Tales in May 1935.
So back on track to Earl Peirce, Jr., part two.

Copyright 2020, 2023 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment