Thursday, December 21, 2023

Weird Tales at the End of the Year

Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. It's a happy day, for even if we have cold, gray days following this one, they will be longer and longer with each one that passes. It's no wonder that this became a season of holidays. Hanukkah has passed, but Christmas is still ahead of us. I want to wish everyone the Happiest and Most Blessed Christmas and a Very Happy New Year. We all need these things.

* * *

I had planned to write more on the first year of Weird Tales before 2023 came to an end, but I have run out of time this year and I'll have to pick up again next. One short series will be on anniversary issues of Weird Tales. In October, I ordered my copy of the 100th anniversary issue directly from the Weird Tales website. My plan was to write about these issues during the month of December. I ran out of time of course, but I also haven't received my copy. I guess Weird Tales is back to its old habits. Maybe next year. I'm also planning to write about another cover artist, as well as the most valuable players in that first year. I also discovered some interesting authors of 1923 whom I haven't covered yet. I would like to write about them, too. So come back. There will be more.

Text copyright 2023 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment