Sunday, April 6, 2014

Andre Linville (1888-1963?)

Pseudonym of André L'Heureux
Author, Journalist, Editor
Born 1888, presumably in France
Died 1963?

I know very little of André Linville, and what I write here comes from several different sources, most of which are in French. I hope that what I write is correct. Maybe a French reader of this posting can offer something more.

André Linville was the nom de plume of André L'Heureux, a French author, journalist, and editor born in 1888. Under that nom de plume, L'Heureux coauthored a book called La Boxe, traité pratique et complet with Jacques Mortane, published in 1908. In 1914, an utterly disastrous war came to Europe. Like every one of his countrymen, Linville played his part, although I can't say that he was a combatant. In 1916, however, he founded and became editor of Journal des Combattants et des mutilés, a title that I translate as Journal of Combatants and the Mutilated. I believe Linville ran for political office after the war. He also created a patriotic association called Flamme de la Nation in 1934. It was probably not by coincidence that Adolf Hitler had risen to power in Germany in the previous year. In 1935, Editions Chantel of Paris issued André Linville's collection La Dernière Traversée et Autres Récits (The Last Crossing and Other Stories). There are seven stories in the collection. The last, if I read it correctly, is called "TSF." That story was translated and reprinted in Weird Tales as "Dead Man's Schooner" in December 1939, only three months after Europe had once again gone to war.

I found a source indicating that André Linville died in 1963, but I can't confirm that as the year of his death.

Andre Linville's Story in Weird Tales
"Dead Man's Schooner" (Dec. 1939)

Further Reading
If you search the Internet, you're likely to find the same sources I found. Even the French version of Wikipedia seems to be lacking in information on Linville.

I believe this to be the author, editor, and journalist André Linville. The caption for the photo reads: "[Portrait de] M. [André] Linville [candidat aux élections législatives sur la liste Union des gauches et des anciens combattants de Seine et Oise]: [photographie de presse]/[Agence Rol]." Translation: "[Portrait of] Mr. [André] Linville [parliamentary candidate on the ticket of the Union of the Left and Veterans of the Seine and Oise]: [press photograph]/[Agence Rol]." I have modified the Google translation and hope I have done it correctly. Linville's membership in the Veterans of the Seine and Oise suggests that he was in fact a combatant during World War I.

Text and captions copyright 2014 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment