Thursday, July 21, 2016

PulpFest This Weekend

A gathering of great significance takes place this week in Ohio. No, I'm not talking about the Republican national convention. That's in Cleveland. The gathering to which I refer is PulpFest, the annual pulp magazine convention. Now in its eighth year, PulpFest begins tonight, Thursday, July 21, 2016, at the Hyatt Regency Columbus and continues through Sunday afternoon. Here is a link to the PulpFest website:


I hope you can make it.

* * *

I have been out of commission these past two weeks. My computer died on July 8. Luckily my hard drive is safe, and I have all my files. I took the poor thing to a computer store. When I told him how old it is, the technician there called it "vintage." That's their official term for a machine that--if it were a person--would this summer be entering first grade. I wonder what that technician would make of a pulp magazine. An impossibly old and hopelessly primitive form of communication? Or a treasure like a cuneiform tablet or the Rosetta stone? Anyway, I'm back in action, if you can call sitting in front of an electronic device "action." I will pick up where I left off with the artists of the Bellerophon Weird Tales, but first with an interruption in the form of a biography of a writer whose 1945 mystery novel The Red Right Hand has been called "strange and terrifying" (New York Times) and "surely one of the dozen or so finest mystery novels of the 20th century" (Jack Adrian). I read it since I left you and I would like to tell you about it before too much longer.

Copyright 2016, 2023 Terence E. Hanley

2 comments:

  1. I just donated my XT computer that I've had since 1985. It was a screamin' machine back then. I think it had a 100 MB hard drive! I hope to get to Pulpfest one of these years. It must be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      You got a lot of mileage out of your computer. I'm really disappointed in mine, a vaunted Mac that didn't even make it to adolescence.

      PulpFest was good this year. I spent way too much money, but I talked to some interesting people and saw some original art by Roy G. Krenkel and Alex Schomburg, among others. Unfortunately two of my friends were unable to make it. I hope to see you there one day, although it would be a long trip for you.

      Thanks for writing.

      TH

      Delete