Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Six Women from Britain-Introduction

As I wrote the other day, I have given some organization to the remaining tellers of weird tales. In so doing, I have come up with six British women writers. These are in addition to four about whom I have already written. (Click on their names for links.) Here is an alphabetical list of all ten. The names in bold are of the authors about whom I will write in the next few days. I will take them in chronological order by birth.
I can't say that this list is complete, as there are dozens of tellers of weird tales about whom I know nothing. Most of these have either very common names and no fame as authors, or they used only their first and middle initials and, again, are otherwise unknown.

After I have finished this series, I plan to write about Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley and her Gothic romance/proto-science fiction novel, Frankenstein. I have been reading this book and going to a book-club discussion of it. I also recently found an article of interest regarding the author and her book. All together, these things have helped me puzzle out a mystery concerning Mary Shelley and Frankenstein.


Text copyright 2016, 2023 Terence E. Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment